Things to do on your holiday in Cornwall
Yurts Cornwall is located in the parish of Lanteglos-by-Fowey, home to the Bronze Age villages of Polruan and Bodinnick and boasting some of the finest walking, swimming, sailing and historic places in the UK. Just across a narrow inlet is the town of Fowey with its award-winning restaurants, cafes and delis and traditional Cornish pubs.
Sun, sea and sand
Below are some of our favourite things to do on the south Cornwall coast:
- Explore the South coast’s hidden coves and beaches. Some of Cornwall’s most stunning beaches are less than two miles away and are featured in Daniel Start’s Wild Swimming Coast Book.
- Breath-taking cliff tops walks, enjoying the abundant flora and fauna – the south coast path is just over a mile away.
- Sailing lessons are available in Fowey at the Fowey Gallants Sailing Club (but book early).
- Learn to stand up paddle Surf, windsurf, sail or sit-on Kayak at Polkerris Beach Tel: 01726 813306.
- A morning’s mackerel fishing is an annual ritual for many of our visitors, providing a wonderful feast to bring home and BBQ over an open fire. Traditional Cornish Sea Fishing Boat trips can be organised.
- Fowey River Expeditions offer escorted canoe expeditions.
- Fowey Kayak Hire offers independent sit-on Kayak self-hire for experienced paddlers and self-drive motor boats. Tel: 01726 833627 or 833019.
- Encounter Cornwall offers guided canoe trips and kayak self-hire in the Fowey River Estuary with trips running every day from Lerryn and Fowey.
- Self-drive motor boats are available from Fowey Town Quay Tel: 07989 991115.
- The North Coast with wonderful surfing beaches is approx 20 miles away. Here Surf Boards, wet suits and surf lessons are readily available.
If you haven’t quite found your sea legs there are still plenty of things to do on land:
- Cornwall offers numerous cycling opportunities. The Camel Trail offers safe cycling for the entire family and bicycles can be hired from Camel Cycle Hire.
- The National Trust at Landhydrock has built a new cycle hub and trails that promises to provide fantastic cycling opportunities as do the mountain bike trails at Cardinham Woods.
- Alternatively explore the Pentewan Valley and cycle to Meviggisey, the Lost Gardens of Heligan or The Eden Project.
- If the season is right, you can assist us in pressing fresh apple juice in the traditional way using apples from our orchard.
Places to visit
- The Eden Project
- National Trust Properties: Lanhydrock, Trelissick, Trerice, and Cotehele
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan
- The Monkey Sanctuary at Looe
- Portfel Wildlife Park and Sanctuary
- Cardinham Woods (Mountain Bike Trails)
- The Minack Theatre is a longer drive but offers a unique and spectacular outside theatre.
Life on the farm
Tremeer is a delightful and wonderfully safe place for children. They can enjoy the freedom of being able to collect eggs from our free range chickens or make friends with our piglets.
Older children may enjoy a game of volleyball, while the family can play cricket or rounders in our meadow.
If the heavens open you can settle into a good book in front of the wood burning stove or explore our “Big Barn” where you will find table tennis and indoor badminton.
During summer school holidays we try to undertake some spontaneous craft activities.
One of our guests favourite parts of the farm is the cedar wood fired hot tub, a great place to soak after a day on the beach.
Local food stores
We have several excellent local shops approx three miles distance from the farm. For those needing a large supermarkets you’ll need to travel a bit further to Bodmin, St Austell or Liskeard.
Close by we are lucky enough to have several farm vegetable stands as well as Church Town Farm, which sells renowned organic meat, Haye Farm, who produce cider using traditional methods and the Cornish Gouda Cheese Company. The picturesque port’s Pollpero of Looe are only a few miles away to the east where you can find a wonderful variety of fresh fish.
We have our own free-range chickens, pigs, lamb and Dexter beef and press our own apple juice so we try to offer our own produce whenever possible.
Des, our local milkman will deliver fresh produce three times a week and we are happy to take orders prior to your arrival 01726-870735.
We have a choice of several local pubs although only within walking distance for the very keen (three mile country walk).
Whatever your interests, we are on hand to help you plan the perfect holiday in Cornwall.